Part IV Close (15 minutes )
Direction : There are 20 blanks in the following passage . For each blank there are four choices marked A) , B ) , C ) , and D ) on the right side of the paper . You should choose the ONE answer that best fits into the passage . Then mark the corresponding letter on the Answer Sheet with a single line through the centre .
In the next 40 years , the percentage of people in the United States over the age of 65 is expected to double . __71__the needs of this part of the populations a _72_ to the ingenuity () of America . To a _73_ degree , a society is judged by __74_ it cares for those who can no longer care _75_themselves .
High technology _76_ the most startling advances in helping the elderly . In _77_ to the well-known artificial heart implantation () , there are efforts underway to _78_ artificial lungs , livers , and bones . An electric ear is _ 79_ seventy-five percent effective . The implants will _80_ better medical care by _81_ minute does of drugs into the body continuously .
For the older people ,even the simplest tasks can be difficult , _82_ impossible to perform . American business have responded _83_ their needs with a _84_ of inexpensive but useful _85_ Companies have designed extra-efficient can openers that _86_ people whose hands have become -87_ weak to open cans easily . There are devices that allow people to pull on a pair of socks _88_straining their backs . Combs with long handles and U-shaped back brushes are _89_ for those who can not reach as _90_ as they could when they were young .
71.A) Seeing B) Meeting C) Facing D) Matching
72. A) chance B) challenge C) call D) change
73. A) valuable B) comprehensive C) considerate D) considerable
74. A) how B) why C) who D) whom
75. A) with B) to C) upon D) for
76. A) protects B) profits C) proclaims D) promises
77. A) relation B) contrast C) addition D) proportion
78. A) discover B) promote C) assemble D) develop
79. A) thus B) still C) already D) yet
80. A) permit B) persist C) serve D) pursue
81. A) removing B)releasing C) relieving D) replacing
82. A) always B) usually C) eventually D) sometimes
83. A) to B) at C) with D) on
84. A) set B) variety C) series D) group
85. A)production B)produce C) products D) sales
86. A)enable B) make C) cause D) encourage
87. A) so B) very C) too D) rather
88. A) by B)without C) in D) through
89. A) valuable B) ready C) near D) available
90. A) long B) good C) far D) much