Part III Vocabulary and Structure (20 minutes )
Directions : There are 30 inco9mplete sentence in this part . For each sentence there are four choices marked A) , B) , C) , and D) . Choose the ONE answer that best completes the sentence . Then mark the corresponding letter on the Answer Sheet with a single line through the center .
41. The number of _____ species increases every year as natural habitats disappear .
A.dangerous B .serious C. endangered D. hazardous
42. Aluminum as well as most metals _____.
A.is a good conductor B. is a good insulator C. are good conductors D. are good insulators
43. Outline are used most often to ______the contents of long complex papers before the actual writing begins .
A.sketch B. illustrate C. draw D. describe
44. There are ten on the list , so you are _______.
A . an eleventh B . the eleventh C . an eleven D . eleven 45. To get a high score ______.
A . working hard is needed B . one must work hard .
C . working hard is very important D . requirement is what needed
46 . “ I’m tired , but let’s go” “ Why ____ rest a while ?”
A.let’s B. not let’s C . not D . let’s not
47. I shall never allow you to marry the poor girl and you are not may son if you _____.
A . have B . married C . do not D . do
48. He is _____ of a musician .
A . anybody B. anyone C . somebody D . something
49. William the Conqueror built the Tower of London to protect himself from_____ he had conquered .
A . those B . each other C . them D . it
50 . I probably know him _____ but not _____ .
A . by the sight …By name B . by a sight … by name C . by sight … by name D . by the sight … by the name
51 . I want an assistant with _____ little knowledge of French and ____ experience of office routine .
A . the … a B . the … an C . a … the D . a … an
52. She killed him not because she loved him less but ______.
A . she loved the country more B . loved the country more
C . loving the country more D. because she loved the country more
53. Then _____ of that time when he was cowboy .
A . Comes the memory B . came the memory C. the memory comes D . the memory came
54. Busy ____ he is , he can fulfill the task ahead of schedule .
A . because B . as C . no matter how D . although
55. No sooner had he found his purse missing _____ he cried and shouted loudly .
A . when B . than C . before D . while
56 . Children , we have to _____ what we have now and it is for you to get better things in the future .
A. make up for B . run away with C . do away with D . put up with
57. Mr. Jack _____volleyball in the afternoon , but now his leg wounded , ____ in the evening .
A . used to play … is used to taking a walk B . used to playing … is used to take a walk
C . was used to playing … used to taking a walk D. was used to play … used to take a walk
58. I wonder what the boy will ____ such a sum of money .
A . do up B . do with C . do for D . do to
59. Do you object _____with you tonight ?
A . that B . for my staying C . to that I shall stay D . to my staying
60. We must ____ the telegram arrived in time .
A . secure B . assure C . ensure D . certify
61. If only I _____ the books on the reading list before I attended the lecture .
A . read B . have read C . had read D . could have read
62. While crossing the mountain areas , all the men had guns for protection lest they _____by the local bandits .
A . be attacked B . were attacked C . must be attacked D . would be attacked
63 . He burned all the important documents ____ that they should fall into the enemy’s hands .
A . unless B . for fear C . until D . so
64. Up went the prices , ______.
A . down the living standard come B . the living standard came down
C . came down the living standard D . down came the living standard
65. Although he is more serious _____ his studied than I am , my grades are better than his .
A . with B . for C . about D . at
66. People can _____ new ideas which nobody ever considered before .
A . came into B . come up with C . come out D . come along with
67.During their first teacher-training year , the students often visited local schools for the ____ of lessons .
A. observation B. observance C. investigation D. inspection
68. Old men sat on the park benches , waiting the village youths ____football .
A. play B. playing C. to play D. played
69. The science of medicine , _____ progress has been very rapid lately , is perhaps the most important of all science .
A. to which B . with which C. in which D . among which
70. They were just going to give up the question , _____ suddenly they found the answer .
A. when B. after C. unless D. unless